Temporary Full Time Medical Laboratory Technologist until approximately until July 5, 2018
HOURS OF WORK:
7.5 hour shifts, Primarily Day Shift with some Weekends.
Hours may vary due to operational needs.
To perform all aspects of histological procedures such as:
embedding, microtomy, frozen sectioning, routine and special staining, gross dissection of small biopsy and veterinary specimens, decalcification and reprocessing of tissue specimens, routine preventive maintenance on equipment. Also may be required to assist Pathologists or Pathologist Assistants with gross dissection. Participate in the departments Quality Assurance Program and accreditation compliance plans. Ensure compliance with standard operating procedures and IQMH (ISO 15189 Plus) accreditation standards. Contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors. Follows the code of professional conduct of the CMLTO, CSMLS and values of GRH.
• Must have active Histology certification with the College of Medical Technologist (CMLTO)
• Recent Histology experience
• Good attendance record
• Strong demonstrated aptitudes related to time management, workload prioritization and problem solving.
• Ability to perform effectively under minimal supervision.
• Ability to perform basic histology procedures including embedding, cutting and staining
• Working knowledge of CoPath is an asset
• Must have strong organizational and documentation skills.
Demonstrated skill In:
• Performing all histology procedures and basic troubleshooting when indicated and according to established protocol. Report unresolved problems to the Supervising Technologist/ Manager.
• Knowledge of safety practices and following safety procedures
• Ability to Prioritize work and respond to urgent unpredictable demands
• Professional, respectful and courteous attitude with other staff
• Effective interdisciplinary communication
• Contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.