Responsibilities included but not limited to:
• Perform procedures related to analytical testing of patient samples under limited supervision. Tests are conducted manually or on automated equipment
• Assist in the maintenance of the work station. Perform the required daily and weekly routine preventative maintenance on equipment, according to the established protocol, and documents these results.
• Read and understand relevant procedure and policy manuals.
• Perform all quality control procedures and basic troubleshooting whenever results are beyond allowable limits according to established protocol. Report unresolved problems to the supervising technologist.
• Perform basic troubleshooting of tests and instruments and observe and report malfunctions of equipment to the designated technical staff.
• Document and report (or call) completed results according to the established protocol and maintain proper records.
• Prepare reagents for tests as required.
• Be knowledgeable in safety practices, and follow safe procedures at all times.
• Exhibit ability to prioritize work and respond to urgent unpredictable demands for STAT testing. Consult with peers, senior, manager or Pathologist when appropriate relative to abnormal results, panic results or other concerns.
• Communicates effectively with physicians, nurses and other hospital personnel – includes basic interpretation of laboratory test results and explanations of limitations of the test procedure.
• Knowledgeable in the use of the Laboratory Information System (McKesson – Horizon Labs, Horizon Blood Bank)
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
• CMLTO / CSMLS certified MLT
• Recent experience in Blood Bank/Core laboratory is preferred
• Demonstrates satisfactory work performance
• Proficiency in the use of Laboratory Information System preferred
• Proficiency in the use of MS office (Word, Excel, Outlook) preferred
• Good attendance record.