The Laboratory Assistant may perform venipuncture and capillary collection, centrifuging, recording and distribution of specimens including specimens that are sent in and referred out. May assist in Hematology and/or Chemistry set up including; slides and bone marrow slide preparation. Other duties may include administering tolerance drinks (glucose, lactose, xylose), urinalysis basic tests, miscellaneous clerical responsibilities, inventory monitoring and ordering. Contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
Other Responsibilities included but not limited to:
• Ensure compliance with standard operating procedures and OLA accreditation standards
• Perform all quality control procedures and basic troubleshooting when indicated and according to established protocol. Report unresolved problems to the Supervising Technologist.
• Be knowledgeable in safety practices, and follow safe procedures at all times.
• Demonstrate ability to prioritize work and respond to urgent unpredictable demands for STAT testing.
• Demonstrate a professional, respectful and courteous attitude with other staff. Communicate effectively with physicians, nurses and other hospital personnel
• Participate in the departments Quality Assurance Program and accreditation compliance plans.
• Grade 12 or equivalent required
• Graduate of a Medical Laboratory Assistant Program
• Experience with research studies would be an asset
• Membership in the Ontario Society of Medical Technologists is required
• Previous Laboratory Assistant experience is an asset
• Good organizational and interpersonal skills
• Ability to perform effectively under minimal supervision
• Must be meticulous in performing repetitive tasks
• Occasional lifting of bulk supplies
• Good attendance record