Casual Medical Laboratory Assistant
HOURS OF WORK:
7.5 hour shifts, Primarily day shift, Monday to Friday but hours and days may change depending upon operational needs.
The Laboratory Assistant in Histology is responsible for receiving and accessioning specimens for Histology and Cytology, filing and retrieving of blocks and slides, labeling of cassettes and slides, discarding of specimens, maintaining supply stock in the gross dissection room, and Operating Room areas as well as assisting the Histology technologists with cover slipping and sorting of slides for distribution to the pathologist. Additional duties include maintenance of the tissue processors, automated stainers and automated cover slippers and preparation and staining of Cytology specimens. Providing support for specimen accessioning and washing of pathology containers are additional requirements. Rotation with other technical assistant positions in the department may be required. Data entry using the Hospital’s CoPath Pathology and HSS Requisitioning Systems is an asset. Exposure to chemicals and hazardous materials frequently occurs in this position.
• Grade 12 or equivalent required
• Recent Histology and Cytology experience is required
• Graduate of a Medical Laboratory Assistant Program required
• Membership in the Ontario Society of Medical Technologists is required
• Previous Laboratory and Morgue Assistant experience is an asset
• Good organizational and interpersonal skills
• Ability to perform effectively under minimal supervision
• Must be meticulous in performing repetitive tasks
• Regular lifting of bulk supplies and heavy specimens
• Computer and typing skills as well as good filing skills (numbers)
• Good attendance record