Temporary Full Time Pathologist Assistant
Until approximately January 19, 2020
HOURS OF WORK:
7.5 hour shift, Monday to Friday
Hours may vary due to operational needs
Responsible for gross dissection and description of surgical pathology specimens obtained during biopsy, surgery and autopsy under the direct or indirect supervision of the staff pathologist. The pathologist assistant is responsible for maintaining equipment and supplies in the gross dissection area as well as assisting with the maintenance of the gross photography database. Knowledge of hospital and laboratory computer programs and terminology is an asset. Additional duties may include accessioning and receiving of specimens, filing of slides and blocks, discarding of stock tissue and training of Histology technologists on gross dissection of small specimens. Contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
• Certification from a Pathologist Assistant (ASCP) and/or BSc and/or MSc with concentration in the areas relevant to laboratory medicine.
• Previous experience as a pathologist assistant.
• Ability to work quickly, accurately and independently
• Must maintain confidentiality and adhere to hospital and laboratory policies
• Ability to perform calmly and professionally under pressure and in all interactions with medical staff, co-workers and patients
• Knowledge of Word, Excel and other common computer programs as well as voice dictation systems would be considered an asset
• Experience with hospital and laboratory computer systems an asset
• Experience with voice dictation systems is an asset
• Good attendance record