Part-Time Registered Practical Nurse
HOURS OF WORK:
11.25 hours shifts
JOB SUMMARY: Offering person-centred care, guided by recovery principles, the Registered Practical Nurse promotes healing and instills hope while demonstrating the values of the Mental Health and Addictions Program.
The RPN provides psychiatric and mental health nursing care working within a team with individuals experiencing psychiatric and mental health problems. The patient population includes the severely mentally ill and those who are experiencing a psychosocial crisis.
Nursing care is provided in accordance with the Canadian Standards of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing (CNA). This rotating position requires that the RPN contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
• Registered Practical Nurse with certificate of competence with College of Nurses of Ontario
• Post diploma in Psychiatric Nursing preferred
• Three years experience in psychiatric nursing preferred
• Experience in working collaboratively in multidisciplinary setting
• Heart Saver and de-escalation certificates (current)
• Recognized medication course
• Knowledge of mental illness, suicidal behaviours and current mental health practices and treatment modalities
• Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
• Using preset standards and protocols within their RPN scope of practice, provides assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation of individuals with psychiatric/mental health disorders
• Working knowledge of the Mental Health Act, Health Care Consent Act and Substitute Decisions Act
• Excellent patient teaching skills
• Application of Family Systems Nursing in the provision of direct patient family care
• Good attendance record