Unscheduled Part-Time Registered Practical Nurse
Extended Assessment Unit
HOURS OF WORK:
11.25 Hour Shifts
Days and Nights
The Mental Health & Addictions Program Extended Assessment Unit adjacent to the emergency room assists with improving patient care and flow. We are seeking a registered practical nurse who is passionate about mental health care and who embrace working in a growing and changing clinical environment.
Offering person-centred care, guided by recovery principles, the RPN promotes healing and instills hope while demonstrating the values of the Mental Health and Addictions Program.
The RPN provides psychiatric and mental health nursing care working with a team experienced in psychiatric and mental health problems. The patient population includes individuals with severe mental health issues and those who are experiencing a psychosocial crisis. Nursing care is provided in accordance with the Canadian Standards of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing (CNA). This position requires that the RPN work as a member of an intraprofessional clinical team. Contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
• Registered Practical Nurse with certificate of competence with College of Nurses of Ontario
• Post diploma in Psychiatric Nursing preferred
• Three years Mental Health experience
• Experience in working collaboratively in multidisciplinary setting
• Heart Saver and de-escalation certificates (current)
• Recognized medication course
• Knowledge of mental illness, suicidal behaviours and current mental health practices and treatment modalities
• Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
• Using preset standards and protocols within their RPN scope of practice, provides assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation of individuals with psychiatric/mental health disorders
• Working knowledge of the Mental Health Act, Health Care Consent Act and Substitute Decisions Act
• Excellent patient teaching skills
• Application of Family Systems Nursing in the provision of direct patient family care
• Good attendance record