Unscheduled Part Time Registered Practical Nurse, Child & Adolescent Inpatient Mental Health Services
HOURS OF WORK:
11.25 hour shifts, 2D2N rotation
At Grand River Hospital, we work with the communities we serve towards life-long health and well-being for all. We exist to provide exceptional care through inspired people, one patient at a time. Our Mental Health & Addictions Program strives to deliver exceptional patient experience, excellent patient access, and engaged staff.
Reporting to the Clinical Manager, Child & Adolescent Mental Health Services, you will work primarily in our CAIP unit. We are seeking a mental health nurse who is passionate about mental health care and who embraces working in a growing and changing clinical environment where roles and responsibilities are evolving to better meet the needs of our patients in a new model of care.
The RPN will:
• provide skill building and de-escalation interventions, along with conducting mental health and risk assessments, as well as safety planning, and working with families,
• offer person-centred care, guided by recovery principles,
• promote healing and instills hope while demonstrating the values of the Mental Health and Addictions Program
• provide psychiatric and mental health nursing care working within a team with individuals experiencing psychiatric and mental health problems. The patient population includes the moderate to severely mentally ill and/or those who are experiencing a psychosocial crisis. Nursing care is provided in accordance with the Canadian Standards of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing (CNA).
This position requires that the RPN work as a member of an interprofessional clinical team and will:
• participate in service committees and quality improvement initiatives as required
• engage in professional development and continuing education
• assist with program development and evaluation as required
• participate in team building, service development and improvement activities striving to contribute to a healthy workplace environment
• contribute to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
• Current registration with College of Nurses of Ontario
• Practices in accordance with Canadian Standards of Mental Health Nursing
• Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing Certification preferred
• Preferred 3 years nursing experience working in a mental health setting, experience working with youth required
• In-depth knowledge of psychotropic medication and related side effects
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and resolve issues with minimum supervision
• Demonstrated understanding of psycho-social, resilience and recovery models
• Demonstrated skills in crisis management, individual intervention, and de-escalation
• Demonstrated knowledge of best practice guidelines pertaining to the assessment and treatment of child and adolescent disorders
• Proven ability to work collaboratively with a multidisciplinary team and community service providers
• Demonstrated ability to provide in depth mental health assessments, risk assessments, mental status examinations, and development of crisis, safety and discharge plans
• Working knowledge of the Mental Health Act, Privacy Acts, Health Care Consent Act, and other relevant legislation.
• Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to Grand River Hospital Mental Health & Addiction Program comprehensive safety programs and practices including staff, patient and environmental safety
• Proven ability to work effectively with other health care providers and community service and school board providers
• Excellent organizational, time management, prioritization and problem-solving abilities
• Excellent critical thinking skills
• Excellent interviewing, verbal and written communication skills
• Good attendance record
• BCLS/ Heart saver