Part Time Medical Laboratory Technologist
HOURS OF WORK:
7.5 hour shifts, Rotating Shifts including Evenings, Weekends and Nights
Medical laboratory technologist responsible for routine Chemistry within the Core Laboratory. Ability to do basic Hematology and Blood bank testing would be an asset. Being familiar with Chemistry and Hematology quality control, testing and reporting within the McKesson Interface environment is an asset. Must have strong organizational and documentation skills. Responsibilities included but not limited to:
• Ensure compliance with standard operating procedures and OLA accreditation standards
• Perform all quality control procedures and basic troubleshooting when indicated and according to established protocol. Report unresolved problems to the Supervising Technologist.
• Document and report (or call) completed results according to the established protocol.
• Be knowledgeable in safety practices, and follow safe procedures at all times.
• Demonstrate ability to prioritize work and respond to urgent unpredictable demands for STAT testing. Consult with peers, senior or manager when appropriate related to abnormal results, panic results or other concerns.
• Demonstrate a professional, respectful and courteous attitude with other staff. Follows the code of professional conduct of the CMLTO, CSMLS and values of GRH.
• Communicate effectively with physicians, nurses and other hospital personnel – include basic interpretation of laboratory test results and explanations of limitations of the test procedure.
• Participate in the departments Quality Assurance Program and accreditation compliance plans.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
• Graduate from an accredited and complete Medical Laboratory Technology Program (General or subject Specialty)
• Current registry with CMLTO. Candidates who have completed their Medical Laboratory Program and are awaiting exam results may be hired into an MLT position. These candidates will be hired under non-registered MLT status and will convert to MLT status upon demonstration of CMLTO registration.
• Recent Chemistry experience a must
• Hematology experience desired
• Understanding of laboratory quality control
• Strong demonstrated aptitudes related to time management, workload prioritization and problem solving.
• Ability to perform effectively under minimal supervision.
• Be a meticulous accurate worker.
• Good attendance record