Position: Integrated Health Informatician - Grand River Hospital and St Mary's General Hospital - Full Time
The Health Informatician combines the practices of healthcare, and computer and information science with the goal of enhanced workflow and health outcomes. The clinical informatician will support the clinical adoption, optimization and maintenance of the health information system at Grand River Hospital (GRH) and St. Mary’s General Hospital (SMGH). They will work collaboratively with physicians, clinical teams, patients, other internal stakeholders, external stakeholders, and the IT department. This role will support clinical standardization, quality and safety in the design, development, implementation, adoption and sustainability of our health information systems in partnership with professional practice, physicians and end users at GRH and SMGH. The Health Informatician conducts analysis, design, build, implementation and evaluation of process change, information, and communications systems that enhance data validity, workflow and clinical practice. They actively use problem solving methods and patient/family safety principles to enhance individual and population health outcomes. The Informatician improves patient care by inform clinical practice, and relating information to patient outcomes. The Health Informatician engages clinicians from all health disciplines and builds upon internal and external interdisciplinary relationships in an assessment of current state practices, gaps analysis, risk identification, planning and execution of the future state. They will use their knowledge/expertise in areas such as clinical documentation, orders, reporting, patient scheduling, lab information systems, surgery/anesthesia, medical imaging, pharmacy, patient registration, and physician orders and documentation. Health Informaticians utilize their combined understanding of healthcare delivery and clinical information systems to contribute to a safe and efficient environment for staff and patients at both organizations.
- Work in collaboration with the other IT staff, professional practice, leadership, clinical programs and services and business departments to enable the electronic hospital information systems to support excellence in clinical and business practices.
- Facilitate communication, collaboration, and understanding between Information Technology, and vendors, clinical professionals at both GRH and SMGH including Allied Health, Nursing, and Physicians, as well as support staff, as a liaison to clinical programs and services.
- Critically evaluate information from a variety of sources (including content experts, clinical applications, databases, practice guidelines, relevant websites etc.) to improve the quality and safety of patient care, and deliver relevant information to clinicians.
- Promote information access and advocate for the use of current and innovative information and communication technologies, to support clinical decision making.
- Identify, report and assist in troubleshooting and fixing system process, function and workflow issues.
Key participants in the build, testing, issue resolution, implementation, and evaluation of clinical information systems, working with and representing clinical needs, workflow and practice.
- Main point of contact for clinical systems vendor support to identify, report, and lead or assist in troubleshooting and resolving system process and function issues such as error messages, and system issues in accordance with IT policies and procedures.
- Utilize influencing ability to involve the right people at the right time to achieve user defined clinical and business requirements and goals aligned with the organizations objectives.
- Participate in integrated change control process.
- Contribute to the development/configurability of systems and design related to clinical workflows.
- Contribute to design and delivery of end user training (classroom, small group, 1:1) of clinical systems at both GRH and SMGH.
- Work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to problem solve and continually improve clinical workflow, patient safety and quality through the electronic hospital information system to meet the professional practice, legislative, regulatory, quality, data reporting, and workflow practices of the healthcare organization and governing bodies.
- Provide quantitative/statistical data analyses, which may include system adoption metrics, trending, privacy analysis, benchmarking, business case preparation, forecasting, regression analysis etc. that link to safety, quality and patient outcomes.
- Assist with the evaluation of the departmental operations, information technologies, information management and service level determination, and customer management to achieve performance and quality control objectives.
- Demonstrate strong communication skills, conflict management, negotiation skills, persuasion and influence
Work creatively to address issues and propose new solutions while proactively managing relationships and expectations
- High level of initiative and professionalism
- Critical thinking and problem solving, organization skills, time management, customer service orientation, adaptability, and ability to work under pressure with competing priorities.
- Participation in an on-call schedule is required.
- Diploma/degree in a healthcare related discipline with Informatics based work experience
Bachelor's degree in Health Informatics, Computer/Data Science with healthcare systems experience
- Minimum of 2 years of recent experience in Health Informatics or related field with experience in an acute care hospital setting and a thorough knowledge of, and experience in healthcare delivery and workflows.
- Proficient with MS Office Suite including MS word and Excel
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of change management theory
- Good attendance record.
- Experience with the Cerner Millennium suite of products is preferred but not required.
Other requirements: Familiarity with time and project management, technical writing, and ITIL methodology is an asset.
All reasonable accommodations will be made for this position.