POSITION: Temporary Part Time Clinical Secretary 6 Until approximately February 21, 2021
HOURS OF WORK: 7.5 Hour Shifts Monday to Friday, Days
The primary role will be registering and checking patients in Cerner. In addition they will be assisting with booking treatment appointments for the chemotherapy suite. They will be performing this while liaising with Medical Oncologists, RN’s, clinical secretaries, team leads and other units in the hospital. While performing these duties they will be expected to handle a high volume of phone calls a day and multiple interruptions. They are also responsible for contacting patients regarding chemotherapy appointments and other appointment instructions. Contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
• Health office administration certificate or diploma from a post-secondary institution preferred
• Mandatory 2 years experience processing physician orders, and scheduling patients.
• Experience working in a clinic or physician office is preferred.
• Oncology experience is preferred
• Superior computer, word processing, graphics & database development skills using MS Office preferred; Cerner experience preferred
• Excellent oral (including telephone) and written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with physicians, nurses and staff regarding care plan for the patient
• Organizational and time management skills with the ability to handle multiple requests and to prioritize and thrive in a highly busy and interruptive environment
• Ability to comprehend and interpret complex physician orders and direction
• Knowledge related to maintaining confidentiality (Privacy and Confidentiality Policy & Release of Information Policy)
• High level of accuracy and attention to detail and self-monitoring of quality
• Must be able to work independently and be able to take direction from other staff members and demonstrated dependability to follow through on requests
• Ability to establish positive relationships with other healthcare professionals and contribute to the development of an environment conducive to safe patient care.
• Good attendance record